EVERY JOURNEY NEEDS A GUIDE , BE SURE AN ADULT IS BY YOUR SIDE !
Every JAMBO’S JOURNEY activity MUST have ADULT supervision.
Puppet activity supplies: fabric, safety scissors, fabric glue or needle and thread, buttons or googley eyes, paper lunch sacks, construction paper, and markers.
Each TEAM JAMBO puppet can use the same figure. This figure is hand sized pocket-puppet that can fit over a standard adult OR child’s hand. This simple pocket can be made by sewing or by using fabric glue to create a three sided pocket with an opening at the base. You can also purchase a terry wash cloth that is already a constructed hand mit.
You will need:
- Base Pocket~ orange and black striped fabric
- Belly~ White oval piece of fabric
- Eyes~ Googley eyes, 2 buttons, or marker
- Nose~ 1 pink fabric half circle, marker, or paper.
- Mouth~ Yarn, or black marker
- Ears~ 1 circular orange and black striped fabric scraps, and 1 circular pink fabric scrap or paper
- Hands and Feet~ Recycle white fabric scraps, recycle a circular of black fabric/paper scrap for claws
- Tail~ 1 long rectangular orange an black striped fabric scrap
- Whiskers~ 3 clean nylon broom bristles, or a black marker.
- Take a rectangle piece of orange and black striped fabric, then fold it in half and sew or glue the outside edges, make sure to leave an opening for your hand. If you are using fabric glue allow the puppet to dry over night.
- Turn your puppet inside out so all the seams are on the inside. Now you are ready to create your character!
- To create the white underbelly sew or glue the white oval to the front side of your pocket.
- Connect the googley eyes or buttons in the desired ‘eye’ location.
- For the nose cut a circular pink piece of material in half. Glue or sew in in the location of the nose.
- Attach the yarn, or use a marker in the desired shape for your puppets mouth.
- Cut your orange and black striped left over fabric into four rectangles and one circle. Cut the circle in half. Cut your pink fabric into a circle slightly smaller than the black and orange striped circle you just made, then cut them in half. Sew, or glue the pink fabric to the black and orange striped fabric, then attach the half circles flat side down in the position of the ears.
- Fold your three nylon bristles in half, than sew or glue your bristles on the folded spot just under the nose to create a fanned out effect.
- Attach the rectangular pieces in the placement of the arms and legs, cut your black 2 circular pieces of fabric into 8 pieces. Attach the claws pointy side out, or draw them on with marker.
- Cut the remaining orange and black striped material into a long rectangular shape, and attach it to the back side of your puppet in the proper tail position.
Now you’re ready to take your puppet on a journey. Be sure to take pictures update your passport every time you/your child and their puppet eco-friendly and friendly.