EVERY JOURNEY NEEDS A GUIDE , BE SURE AN ADULT IS BY YOUR SIDE !
Every JAMBO’S JOURNEY activity MUST have ADULT supervision.
Puppet activity supplies: fabric, safety scissors, fabric glue or needle and thread, buttons or googley eyes, paper lunch sacks, construction paper, and markers.
Each TEAM JAMBO puppet can use the same figure. This figure is hand sized pocket-puppet that can fit over a standard adult OR child’s hand. This simple pocket can be made by sewing or by using fabric glue to create a three sided pocket with an opening at the base. You can also purchase a terry wash cloth that is already a constructed hand mit.
You will need:
- Base Pocket~ Tan fabric
- Eyes~ Googley eyes, 2 buttons, or marker
- Beak~ 1 diamond piece of black craft foam. 1 diamond piece of red craft foam
- Crown~ construction paper, craft foam or Orange Feathers
- Wings~ Black and white striped fabric
- Feet~ Orange fabric triangles
- Tail~ Recycle your black and white striped fabric
- Take a rectangular piece of tan fabric, then fold it in half and sew or glue the outside edges, make sure to leave an opening for your hand. If you are using fabric glue allow the puppet to dry over night.
- Turn your puppet inside out so all the seams are on the inside. Now you are ready to create your character!
- Connect the googley eyes or buttons in the desired ‘eye’ location.
- For the beak cut your black craft foam in a large diamond shape, cut your red craft foam in a slightly smaller diamond shape. Sew or glue the red piece of foam to the black piece. Then fold it in half and sew or glue the beak along the crease, in the proper mouth location.
- First cut your orange craft foam in to three even ovals, color the tip of the ovals black to create that tipped feather effect. To create the ‘Mohawk’ effect snip the end that you didn’t color to make a nice straight line, make a crease about a centimeter from the side you just cut. Than glue or sew the oval’s fold to the center of your puppets head in the shape of a ‘Mohawk.’ To create more of a feathered look makes some small snips along the outside edge.
- Cut your black and white striped fabric into two large triangular shapes and one small triangular shape. Sew or glue your large triangles in the proper wing area pointy side out. To create more of a feathered effect make little snips along the out edges of your triangle.
- Cut one orange circle in half, and attach them flat side along the pocket in the proper ‘foot’ area.
- For the tail take the smaller triangle you created in step number 6, than attach it to the back side of your puppet flat side down. To create the feathered effect make small snips along the outside edges.
- Feel free to create accessories for your Jambo puppet out of objects you find on your daily journeys.
Now you’re ready to take your puppet on a Journey. Be sure to take pictures update your passport every time you and your child and their puppet are eco-friendly and friendly.
Bon Voyage ~ Adios Amigos ~ Safe Travels